Danny is known throughout the music world for his sound, power, and musicality. He began his professional career at age 15. His first playing job was in 1969 with the Eddie Knight Quintet in South Bend, Indiana. During this time he played with another local big band, the Jazz Assemblage, as well as both the Indiana University at South Bend's Wind Ensemble and Jazz Ensemble, and studied trumpet under Professor William Adam at Indiana University in Bloomington. 1969 - 1972
After graduating from high school, he auditioned for the United States Army Jazz Ensemble, the studio band at Fort Meade near Washington D.C., and was accepted at age 19. After a year he took over the position of first trumpeter. He toured throughout the U.S., performing at concert halls, colleges, and high schools in 48 states, and earned an honorable discharge and Meritorious Service Award. Danny traveled to New York and met with a representative from the Willard Alexander Agency, and after discharge from the service was called to play with the Tommy Dorsey Band under the direction of Murray McCeaceran and alongside Buddy Morrow. He ended up as first trumpeter, touring the U.S. and Canada. 1973 - 1977
After the Dorsey Band he was recruited by Maynard Ferguson. He toured and recorded with the band for 3 years. 1977 - 1979
During this time he was contacted by a friend playing in Chicago and was put in touch with the legendary percussionist and vibraphonist Bobby Christian, veteran of the Chicago Symphony and a well respected jazz vibist, composer, and arraigner. That audition put Danny's name in the Chicago scene. He made a steady living playing in rehearsal bands, weekend jobbing, and playing variety show in theaters including the Mill Run, Blue Max, Playboy Club in Lake Geneva, WI, and the Carlton West in Green Bay, WI. Danny has played lead trumpet for a long list of entertainers at the Holiday Star theater in Merrillville, IN. 1980 - 2006
Although too many to name, a short list of entertainers he has played with includes Doc Severance, Clark Terry, Tony Bennett, Benny Goodman, Frank Sinatra, Sr., Frank Sinatra, Jr., Bernadette Peters, Joni Mitchell, Dennis DeYoung and Styx.
By 1982 Danny was considered a first call session trumpeter. In addition to recording sessions he was doing Broadway Shows, the included "Fiddler on the Roof", "Man of La Manchu", "My One and Only", "Zorbas", "Bye Bye, Birdie", "42nd St.", "No, No, Nannette", "Les Miserable", "Phantom of the Opera", "Sunset Boulevard", "West Side Story", "Chicago", "Annie", "Grease", and "Too Hot to Handel".
• Grime Thorpe Colliery (UK Coal) Band at Carnegie Hall.
• Principle trumpet and soloist with the Midwest Pops Orchestra under the direction of Newton Wayland, 1982 through 1992.
• Performed with the St. Louis Symphony Pops as principal trumpet and soloist with Newt Wayland and Skitch Henderson, 1988.
• Performed with the Chicago Symphony Pops as principal trumpeter and soloist with Eric Kuntzel, 1990.
• Featured trumpeter with the Black Dyke Mills British Brass Band at the International Trumpet Guild Conference at Royal Northern College in Manchester, England, 2001.
• Performed as soloist with the Brass Band of Battle Creek at the Royal Albert Hall, London, 2001. Then touring Greater England.
• Cornet soloist with the Brass band of Battle Creek, 1995 - 2001.
• Featured soloist with the University of Notre Dame Jazz Band, 2003.
• Soloist with the Western Illinois University Jazz Band, 2003.
• Soloist with the Kalamazoo Symphony, 2004
• Soloist with the Indiana University at South Bend Jazz Ensemble, 2005.
• Soloist with the Purdue University Jazz Ensemble, 2005.
• Soloist with the Western Michigan University Jazz Band, 2005.
• Soloist with the College of Dupage Jazz Ensemble, 1998.
• Soloist with the Southwestern Michigan University Jazz Ensemble, 1998.
• Adjudicator - Purdue University Jazz Festival, 2006.
• Adjudicator - Clark Terry Jazz Camp Emporia Kansas, 1993.
• Maynard Ferguson, "HOT"
• Gull Lake Jazz Orchestra-GLZO-Lead Trumpet and Soloist.."Timeless" (gulllakejazz.com)
• Dennis DeYoung and Styx, "Paradise Theater"
• Frank Mantooth Jazz Orchestra, "Suite Tooth", "Dangerous Precedent", "Sophisticated Ladies", "A Miracle"
• City Lights Orchestra, Chicago, "City Lights Orchestra"
• Discovery Singers, "Christmas of Discovery"
• Jazz Members Big Band, "Digin'In"
• Chicago Jazz Orchestra with Clark Terry, "Porgy and Bess"
• Brass Band of Battle Creek, "Sleigh Bells and Brass", "Brazzmatazz", "Britain and Brass"
• Utah Symphony, "Sophisticated Ladies"
• Charley Harrison and the Chicago Jazz Orchestra, "Keeping My Composure"
• Peter Brown, Chicago, "SNAP"
• Roger Pemberton Big Band, Chicago
• Buddy Childers Big Band, Chicago, "Just Buddy's"
• Sound Track, "A League of their Own"
• Danny has also played on over 2000 Radio and Television Commercials.
Danny is currently giving private lessons in the greater South Bend area, and lower Southwestern Michigan. He runs clinics and master classes, and was the featured soloist and clinician with the South Bend Community School Corporations Jazz Soundsations in 2005.
He teaches university students and professional players both locally and from the Chicago area.
Danny Barber Quartet and Danny Barber's Jazzcats
P.O. Box 394
Notre Dame, IN